(To Serve Two)
- ½ cup – rice
- ½ cup – mixed lentils (toor dal, yellow mung dal, green mung dal, chana dal, urad dal, red masoor dal) Note: You may use just three or four lentils instead of all six. You may even use just one of them.
- 2 small sized – chopped tomatoes
- 8-10 – curry leaves
- 2 – chopped green chillies
- 1 inch piece – ginger
- 1 teaspoon – mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon – cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon – fenugreek seeds
- ½ teaspoon – asafoetida
- ½ teaspoon – turmeric
- ½ teaspoon – red chilli powder
- 1½ teaspoon – salt
- 2 teaspoons – ghee/oil
- 5 cups – water
1)Put the rice and lentils in a bowl. Wash them twice and let them soak in plenty of water for half an hour. Drain the water.
2) Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Lower the flame. Add the mustard seeds. Once they sputter, add the cumin, fenugreek and asafoetida. After a few seconds, add the curry leaves and the green chillies.
3)Now add the rice and lentils, tomatoes, ginger, turmeric, red chilli powder, salt and water. Give a quick mix and place the lid.
4)After the first whistle, reduce the flame and pressure cook for 5 minutes.
5)Open the lid and mix the khichdi well. Enjoy it with yoghurt and papad/pickle.